Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New feeding schedule

The past three days I have been feeding Whitney differently than before.  Before I use to do her meals over one to two hours and she would vomit once or twice a day.  They say do it slower so that she can handle it.  Then, we thought that maybe she was vomiting so much because it was so slow and having food constantly in her belly. So on Saturday morning, after she threw her her first "slow" meal, I tube fed her 100 ml's over 20 minutes!  She did great with that!  So we did that schedule all day and she didn't throw it up!  I tried to hold her, or she sat in her high chair, or she was asleep for the whole meal.  I added in one more meal a day (5total) to get her the right amount.  Night drip is still 200 ml's, then 100 ml's at 9 AM, 12 PM, 3 PM, 6 PM and 9 PM.  She did NOT vomit on Sunday with this schedule. On Monday, I increased it by 5 ml's and she threw up the 12 pm meal, but I think it was because we were at the wild life park and she was really hot.  Today I gave her 105 ml's and she threw up her 3 pm meal while she was just walking around.  So that was sad. Usually, if she throws up her entire meal, I will start the next one half an hour early.  I will try to stay at the 105 ml's 5 times a day for a couple days if she doesn't vomit, if she does then it's back to 100 and if she keeps it all down then I will increase it another 5 mls.  So now she gets just over 700 ml's a day (24 hours). 

We had a different feeding therapist today because our's is out of town for a couple weeks.  This one was pretty good and thought that Whitney was doing really good by playing in her puree and chewing on all their fancy chew toys.  Whitney tasted the apple sauce once! The feeding therapist said to keep letting her play in her food 2 or 3 times a day and eventually she will taste it more.  So today she played in some pork and beans. Also dipped some cracker in cheese.  I always give her puff like foods, for example, today I bought her

veggie straws,
 pirate booty,
snikidy baked fries,
snap pea crisps,
and gerber puffs.

 Whitney eats these a little bit! It's also good to let her experience real whole foods like brocolli, strawberry, bannana, zuchinni or squash slices, basically anything they can suck on and won't choke on.  I'm afraid to give her carrots because they are small and could slip out of her hand and down her throat.

We got her weighed today.  16 lbs 14 oz.  Did not gain a single ounce!  She's been that weight for 3 weeks now!  Very strange to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment