Friday, November 18, 2011

Gaining weight on BD

Whitney weighed 18 lbs 9 oz on Tuesday 11/15.  She gained 8 ounces in 2 weeks!!






We just got the awesome Vita mix blender at Costco the other day during a their 'roadshow'.  My dad saw it and asked me if we wanted it now and if he should get it.  So I called up the company and asked about their special medical discount.  They said that a Doctor has to write a note on his letterhead about the child's condition, why the blender is needed for them and a signature.  Pretty simple.  They would fax it to the company, then the company said they would call and set me up with a reconditioned blender for about $300.  Pretty good deal.  But reconditioned means that they would send me one that has been used for their roadshows.  Unfortunately I have issues with anything used.  So my husband agreed to get the one at costco for $435. 


The blender has been working really well.  My first blend consisted of
1/2 c. cooked Quinoa
1/4 c. frozen green peas
1/4 c. steamed sweet potato
1/4 banana
1/4 c. thawed strawberry (3)
8 oz Goat Milk

It didn't put any meat in it because I think that that would give her too much protein.  It made 16 oz of formula and was a thin consistency.  I think I blended the Goat Milk a bit too long because it was kinda frothy.  Whitney threw up the first time she got it.  She was playing outside and chasing the dog, just got too wilded up I guess.

The next day I made: the same Quinoa, 1/2 c. frozen mixed veggies (broccoli, carrot, celery, and edemane), 1/2 c. mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and pineapple), and 8 oz GM

The first time she threw that up too!  But that's because I gave her too much.  SHE actually signed to me that she was ALL DONE at 5 oz into it.  She's never done that before so I though silly girl, not yet!  So I gave her the last ounce.  The she took a 30 min bath, she was upset to get out and started to cry and got that look on her face and threw up all over her towel and into the tub!  Gross!  Bathed her again she then she took a three hour nap! I feed her the blend for the next two meals and again she told me all done and this time I listened!  I stopped! 

Whitney's speech therapist came over during a feed and Whitney loves it! She's coming along good in her speech and learning new signs.  Basically Whitney has lost some oral motor skills because she doesn't use her tongue and lips like oral eaters do. 

Also, I got a phone call from Ellen the nutrionist/RD in Tuscon saying that the OT, Marsha Dunn Klein is not seeing patients right now for personal reasons..... okay, I've been trying to get in to see her again since august!  Whatever.  So  Ellen said that we could just talk on the phone about Whitney's blenderized diet instead of us driving down there. So I still have a bunch of questions and will ask her on Monday. I let you all know the answers too!  I'm not going to try to get in to see Marsha though. 







No comments:

Post a Comment