Thursday, November 10, 2011

Working on Blenderized Diet


WELL for the past couple of weeks I've been giving Whitney some blended foods, mostly from jarred puree's that I already had. I'm doing more research about blenderized diets. There are so many different recipes out there and I was very confused on which one to base mine from. I finally figured it out and it's very simple.  Figure out what your child's daily nutritional needs are, choosemyplate.gov is a great source! It will tell you how much of each category they need based on their height, weight, age, gender, and activity level.  It gives lots of examples of that food too! This is the basic's that every blend I've seen incorporates.  Every one needs:

GRAINS
VEGETABLES
FRUITS
DAIRY
PROTEINS

Whitney needs 1000 calories a day. 

She also needs 3 oz of grains:ex: brown rice, rolled oats,quinoa, millet, couscous, wholegrain barley

 1 cup veggies: ex: spinach, broccoli, tomato, carrots, red or green peppers, squash, peas, zucchini

1 cup fruits: ex: banana, apple, strawberry, blueberry plum, pineapple, peach, pear, cantaloupe

2 cups dairy: ex: Milk (Goat or Cow), Cheese, yogurt

and 2 oz proteins: ex: chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, ham, tuna, egg, any nuts

She also needs probiotics and multivitamin daily. She'll also require about 1 more cup of fluids daily.

So now the challenge is to figure out what goes best with what (taste and nutrient wise)!!  It's very important to make sure that tubie's get enough (and not too much) of all the nutrients!  I also think a variety will be great! 

I have this program called mydietanalysis.com  which I got from being in my food and nutrition class.  I costs money, I'm not sure how much,  but if you really want to know exactly what is in what then it is a great source! 

I've already come up with some ideas to blend and I put the foods in the diet analysis and none of them quite equal up to 1000 calories.  So I will ask her dietician about it when we see her in a couple weeks in Tuscon. Plus I have no idea how much volume it will produce so I predict a lot of 'trial and error' as usual! There are so many options. You can do one or three or even 7 different combinations! I will probably do 7 different blends and rotate them every day throughout the week! Make it the night before and refrigerate it for the next day.

Meanwhile trying to wean Whitney off of the night time feeds. I want her to take all her boluses during the day like a normal kiddo!

 I plan on purchasing the Vita-mix 5200 standard blender soon!  It's about 450$$ and buying all this food will be expensive (compared to the free, ins. covered, formula)!  This adventure will be exciting and frustrating I'm sure! But well worth it!  I bet you'd wish all your kids (and you) could eat this healthy!! 

I figure that once we get this well on the way and with no vomiting and healthy weight gain... then I will focus on weaning her off!


























No comments:

Post a Comment