Monday, February 20, 2012

Feeding Tube Awareness Week Day FIVE

      To answer this week's FTA question:   The need for greater awareness in the medical community- Explain a situation where a clinician didn't understand tube feeding and what was the impact.
Thankfully, I really don't have an incident to explain!  But obviously there are a ton of them that other mama's shared if you click the link!  All of Whitney's DR.'s and Therapist support her feeding tube and understand it.  The pediatrician is good with it too and is happy with Whitney’s growth. Cardiologist wants Whit to gain weight for her heart strength.  Pulmonologist want’s it so Whitney can grow for her lungs to get bigger.  Of course the GI Dr. wants it and understands and so does the dietician.  The Pharmacist is also aware of them and gives me extra syringes for meds!   The Pediatric surgeon, though, is the only Dr. who really wants Whitney to eat, they are all happy she is growing though!  Surgeon just doesn't want to do more surgeries on her!  I'm glad though that she supports it and knows that Whit needs it!  It hasn't come out yet, but if it were, I'd take her to PCH (with a new button, because they are all different sizes), and make sure an experienced Dr. or surgeon replaced it, since I don't know how to!  I might try at first to at least keep the hole open, but still go to the hospital to make sure I did it right!  So I don’t have any crazy experiences where Dr. or nurses don’t know anything about feeding tubes!

No comments:

Post a Comment