Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ice Cube Tray of snacks

I saw this picture on pinterest where they put a large variety of healthy foods in an ice cube tray. I clicked on the link and it was for a birthday party, and they got the idea from someone else who also got it from some one else, whom I'm sure got it from someone else.  Anyway, basically this is not my personal idea and I don't have any links to find it elsewhere for you.  The picture looked so pretty with all the different colors of foods that I would want to eat from it!  Then I thought maybe Whitney would too!  I was running low on her snacks so I went to walmart and bought about $45 of baby snacks that I think she would be able to handle if she wanted too.  They were mostly baby snacks as pictured but I also got some rice crisps, goldfish, nilla wafers, Gram crackers, rice crispies, kix, life, Cheerios, some baby cookies, and cheetos.  I still want to get veggie straws and snap pea crisps which I didn't see at that store.  I also made a huge list of foods that I could put in the tray for the future.  Ex: cheese cubes, cucumber, corn, blueberries, strawberries, edamane, pretzels, peas, meatballs, oatmeal, quinoa, avocado, banana, carrots, sweet potato, apples, applesauce, chicken, turkey, yogurt, rice,beans, broccoli, peanut butter, olives, pineapple, and oranges.  But who knows if this idea will even work?! I know this all this money/food will either end up on the floor for the dog or I'll eat it.  Whitney might take a lick or a tiny nibble and you know what, that's what counts.  She needs to experience different flavors and textures in a happy, relaxed atmoshpere where food is fun!  I just have to keep reminding myself of that because sometimes it's get frustrating when she doesn't eat, but I do back off because she is obviously frustrated too.  So like I said, we try to make it fun!  Now hopefully these snacks will last a long time in the tray because it has the all important lid!   










 The first time I brought out the tray was around 3pm, after Whitney has had her nap and is ready to eat.  But she was in a throwing mood!  Although happy, she threw her toys on the ground. I say "no".  She looks at me like "whatever".  :)  Then I offer her a few veggie stix, which she does like to nibble on, but she immediately threw them to the dog.  So I thought, I don't want the ice cube tray all over the floor, so I didn't show it to her. 
For dinner, around 7pm, she was still in a throwing mood!  Now sometimes, Whitney does really well with eating her snacks.  But I carefully offered her the tray and she nicely picked one!  Nibbled it! And gave it to the dog.  Then she picked another one and just gave it to the dog, so I put it away.  Then she threw her other "meal" on the floor which was a paper plate of pita bread with hummus (she did lick that) and a bunch of veggie stix.  It does help the throwing food to the dog a little bit if we put the dog in her room, but she will still put food on the floor! I don't know how to stop her from doing it.  First I try to prevent it, of course.  Then I just tell her no and take the food away.  So if she takes a bit first then gives it to the dog, I don't take the food away.  But if she's just throwing it all on the floor then I do take it away. 
I do positive reinforcement when she takes a bit or lets me put the spoon in her mouth.  She loves bubbles and such. 






No comments:

Post a Comment