Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lactose Intolerant!! Needs New formula!!



Last Friday I received a phone call from Whitney's GI Dr. U.  She said that all of Whitney's labs came back normal expected that she tested positive for Lactose Intolerance.

Crazy huh?  I suspected that all along, the Goat's Milk is the culprit!  They don't know when it started but I'm sure she's been lactose intolerant for a least a year now.  :(  NO more Goat Milk or any milk for Whitney!  They say that since this intolerance started at such a young age that she might be Lactose intolerant forever.  Or maybe she will grow out of it. 

We don't really think that Whitney nibbling on some cheese or cheese flavored snacks will upset her stomach.  But for now, and for a while we will steer clear of those things!  A while ago, Whitney loved yogurt and would eat quite a bit of it.  It always made her sick and vomit afterwards. 

Why didn't they test for this before or even bring it up?  Who knows!?  Why didn't they suspect it or test for it earlier?  Who Knows!?  I'm just so glad we got a good GI doc on our team finally! 

Since I received that news,  I threw out Whitney's Blenderized Diet with Goat's Milk and switched to Rice milk for a few days.  A few days of a clean baby and floor!  AKA No vomit!  I just gave her poor belly a rest and gave her some fortified Rice milk with seeds and oils to increase the calories.  I also gave her lots of jarred baby food purees.  The problem with that diet is that it's not enough.  It was okay when she was under one, but she needs a lot more to grow.  Whitney needs a better source of protein, carbs, and fats. 



Whitney fits in a size 6M pants! 



So rice milk isn't really milk and it can't replace milk for a toddler unless they can eat a lot of meats, fish, and eggs.  I'm sure I could even blend those things up to a liquid (kinda gross and smelly though).  But the nutritionist and GI dr.  want to try a new formula called Compleat Pediatric.  It has some real foods in it.  From a medical stand point they just need to make sure Whitney (who is extremely underweight) is getting all the nutrients she needs.   And I completely agree with them at this point.  Although I'm sure I could do it with a blenderized diet,  I don't want to risk it.

I was so looking forward to making my own Rice Milk (which is pretty easy and fun), and my own Oat milk, and Quinoa Milk.  But it's just basically watered down grains. How or why is it even considered milk?  Plus I just bought a bunch of frozen veggies and fruits to puree.  But this formula is just a bridge.  It needs to get Whitney gaining weight!

So far she has been tube feed with it five times.  First at dinner time last night.  Then around 11pm.  She threw that up and we were pretty sad about that.  So I actually stayed up and feed her it again around 12:45am so that she would be so hungry.  Then she got it for breakfast this morning.  She had a bath.  Tube feed three hours later and went to bed.  With no vomit!  I have to give her 5 ounces 6 times a day for her to get about 900 calories a day.  It is thin enough to go through the pump and bag,  but I'm so use to doing bolus feeds via syringe.  I have to sit with her at the table anyway so it's just easier to not mess with a pump that always errors and such.  Doing this formula is a little to easy on my part though!  I still wish I could blend up her foods! 

I'm so relieved that this might work well for her.  We are still considering doing a GJ tube but not any time soon.  The dr.'s were even talking about doing TPN for Whitney, which is total nutrition via IV!  Scary!  But we really need her to grow and development normally, mentally and physically.  I'm willing to do anything for her at this point.  But so far this formula seems to be working well, but I won't jinx it,  it's only been half a day!! 


Now I'm just dying to post a couple of candid pictures from our Three Tubie Girl BFF's Photo shoot last weekend.  It just a sneak peak of how cute they are!  The professional pictures are so much better so I will wait to post those and the whole adventure when I get them!  We all had so much fun! 


Whitney loved playing in the dirt and flowers!  They are all such princesses!




 Whitney was very entertained tearing the flowers apart,  Raya was chewing on the balloon, and Lily was very fascinated by her! 




1 comment:

  1. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from cervical dystonia, I have suffered from cervical dystonia since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the constant muscle contractions and pain , until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including dystonia, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from dystonia just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from dystonia you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete